Careers in Environmental Health Science
- As of May 2020, the CDC’s Uncover EH project reported 25% of EHS professionals are over 55 years of age, and 25% plan to retire within five years.
- The workforce is gender balanced with half being women.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) indicates that the “Environmental Scientists and Specialists, including Health” occupational category is growing faster than average.
- BLS states “Heightened public interest in the hazards facing the environment, as well as increasing demands placed on the environment by population growth, are expected to spur demand for environmental scientists and specialists.”
- BLS indicates that median pay for the nation is $71,360 per year and $34.31 per hour.
Where Are Our Alumni Currently Employed?
- Captains, Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants with the U.S. Public Health Service attached to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, National Park Service, Indian Health Service, U.S. Coast Guard, and other agencies.
- Environmental Science & Engineering Officers in the U.S. Army
- Environmental Scientists for Kentucky Department of Environmental Protection
- EHS Managers in industry at Tesla, Amazon, Toyota, Owens-Corning, Heaven Hill Distillery, Angel Envy, Bullard Distillery, Nissan North America, La-Z-Boy, American Wind Technology, Hitachi, Trane, Siemens, and more.
- EHS Managers and Industrial Hygienists at universities including UK, EKU, Indiana University, Kentucky State University and University of Iowa
- EHS Specialists and Sanitarians at Local Health Departments including Louisville Metro, Lexington-Fayette, Hamilton County (Ohio), Columbus (Ohio), Oakland County (Michigan), West Palm Beach (Florida), Volusia County (Florida), and many more across Kentucky, Colorado, California, and
- Industrial Hygienists at Sandia National Laboratory, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Blue Grass Chemical Agent Destruction Pilot Plant, US Navy Joint Base Charleston, Lockheed Martin, Naval Hospital Oak Harbor, Dugway Proving Grounds, and Liberty Mutual
- Permitting Engineers at Bechtel-Parson/Blue Grass Army Depot
- Sanitation Program Manager at Kellogg and National Food Safety Manager for Texas Roadhouse
- NGOs including the U.S. Peace Corps
- Specialty Crop Inspector at USDA-Agricultural Plant Health Inspection Service
- Consumer Safety Officer at U.S. Food and Drug Administration